Friday, March 17, 2006

What I’ve Learned This Week…

#1) …that the old saying is true- you really can’t judge a book by its cover. I have a friend that is dubbed “the smartest dumb person I know”, but I’ve learned it’s all a front. Underneath the droopy eyes and “I’m up to something” smile, he has a wealth of information about a history I’ve overlooked for quite some time. I’ve spent my life (thus far) being caught in between a Puerto Rican heritage and a New York/American state of mind. I eat the food and I dance to the music, but that’s where my progression ends. I don’t speak the language (here comes the onslaught of “wtf?”s) , and I don’t really know how my island came to be beyond the stories they told me in my school days. I listened to my friend for what was probably about an hour and when we were done talking I wished my mom was around to help me start mapping out my family history. Yet another project for me to begin, but this will be one of the ones I actually come through on, promise you that tabaquero ;o).

2)…that I need to get more involved in events that have a purpose. This week I met up with a man involved with the promotions for LDPMS. Over a beer we chatted about the show, but more deeply about giving back to the community and creating awareness for subjects that go so far unnoticed people are not receiving the care they need. I was almost brought to tears, but more importantly left with the tremendous feeling that I am responsible to do something with my abilities beyond what my career will allow. So now it is my mission to surround myself with people that share that feeling and will help me help others… I’m seriously not trying to sound like UNICEF or a Hallmark card, this is me.

3)…that my cousin Candice is more my sister than my cousin. I recruited her for an evening of musical fun last night. I entered her house to the sound of “Hi Nina!” as Imani took notice of my entrance. If she gets any cuter I may have to build her a buddy carrier to attach to my hip.

Candice scrambled to get ready as I put on Toy Story 2 (or as Imani shouts when she sees the cover “YEE HAWW”) for Imani. There is something so amazing about watching her grow up over the past year and a half. I’ve never been this close to a growing child so for the first time I’m watching a personality develop and trust me she already has one. She’s well aware of her ability to win everyone over, especially her Nina who can’t stand to see her cry.
Within 15 minutes Candice was ready, she’s well aware of my inability to wait for people when I’m expected somewhere. I appreciate her for that lol. We kissed the baby good bye and jumped into my car, headed for the city. What I thought would be an easy attempt at parking in the Village turned into vehicular madness. TWICE I almost got a parking but because the Village streets are so narrow I couldn’t pull over or reverse. Ten minutes later I gave up, said “F*C* a parking space!” and parked in a lot for $15 an hour. Whatever, my dude Suozzi is worth it.
We reached the Lion’s Den where the bouncer asked me if I’d been there before. When I said “No”, he told me I had a twin who frequents the place. Apparently I’m a quadruple twin because I’ve been told that at least four times in the past couple of months.
After getting matching peace sign stamps on our hands, we entered the pub and took our seats at the sidebar. Just in time for the band, we downed a couple of drinks and watched Serial Obsession rock out. Not because I’m biased, but I actually like their music a lot.
We stayed through their set and then left to shoot uptown to what’s becoming my newest favorite Thursday spot, Camaradas. There was only one problem… which way was North? I wasn’t near any avenues and I’m lost when it comes to the Prince/Sullivan/random name streets. Luckily the garage keeper with the weird accent was able to direct me correctly and we were soon on Houston shooting East. We car danced all the way and when we arrived at 115th, Camaradas was already packed. It was so packed at the bar I thought my need for a beer would go unmet until I heard a guy tell his friend to watch his chair while he went to smoke. I volunteered my chair warming services by saying “I’ll watch it for you if you let me sit on it until you get back.” And so is how Candice and I met David, Bruce, Mario and Irvin. A very cool group of dudes that (beyond Yerbabuena’s fantastic music) kept us entertained most of the night. Candice, you remember “You work for ****?!” and “ARE YOU ON MYSPACE?” Why did they have to be so loud? Felt like I was on super blast lol. Still they were cool.



Before I knew it, it was passing 12:30am and the long day at work was starting to kick in. Candice and I said our goodbyes and headed to the car.
“You know they have a Cuchifrito place down the block from here,” Candice said.
The word cuchifrito has always weirded me out. When I was little cuchi was a reference to a female body part…now it was a reference to food. Hmm.
“What they got there?” I was starting to salivate. If I keep going out like this I’m going to gain at least 15 pounds. Once the clock strikes 11:01pm I’m hungry.
“Empanadas, papa rellena (sp?), things like that.”
“I’m on it!” And so I swung a U-turn and we did a food collection driveby. Candice had hardly finished settling back into the car when I tore into an empanada. Five minutes later there were crumbs all over my car and I was reminded of college runs to the grease trucks @ 4am. No wonder I was 30 pounds over weight back then!
“They have a Krispy Kuts here,” Candice said.
And between bites I responded, “Did you say Krispy Kreme? Where?”
Candice was in hysterics over my sudden interest. “Krispy Kuts is a barbershop.”
“Oh,” I said sadly and was instantly aware of my fat-fucked-ness. We were both hysterical laughing and I drove us the hell out of that neighborhood before I ate myself into oblivion. I love you Can! Not many can make me laugh the way you do.

#4)… that just because it’s Friday I don’t HAVE to go out. And so tonight, (for real this time) I’m just going to stay home and RELAX!

1 Comments:

Blogger Karla said...

Damn Elle you know where all the hot boys are at. Imani is supper cute but i have already told you that like a million times.

LOL @ the Krispy Kreme incedante (sp?) Caro and I do that shit all the time we call ourselfs that "fat kids"...lol..gotta to love food!

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home