Friday, January 20, 2006

Social Science Experiment?

Every morning I take an express bus from Staten Island into the city and, if I’m on time, I catch the same bus driver. Said bus driver is bald, wears an MTA cap and Oakley looking sunglasses that only intensify his hard ass demeanor. When you board the bus he does not look at you but instead keeps his focus straight on whatever dream lies ahead of him. I once made the mistake of saying “Thanks” on my way off the bus when we reached my stop. He said nothing, but continued his onward gaze.

I thought there was a possibility he was mute, until an unknowing passenger made the mistake of telling him he’s missed her stop. He grabbed the PA and said to the entire bus, “Passengers you need to realize I am not a mind reader. I cannot look into the future and figure out where you want to stop. There is a button that was constructed for such notifications. You’re supposed to press it when you would like me to stop.” Ouch. I cowered into my chair, feeling the pain of the scorned passenger. As people filed off the bus they said “Goodbye” and “Thanks”, but he never took his gaze away from the road and never said a word to any of them. This guy was brutal. So I kept my mouth shut.

From that point on, I never kept my Ipod too loud in hopes of hearing what would come out of his mouth next. On a different day, a passenger asked if she could get off while we were stopped at the light. Again he grabbed the PA and began a speech, “Passengers it is only my duty to pick you up and drop you off at designated bus stops. As far as I can see, I am on time and not in a rush. If you are late to work it is not my problem.” What balls this guy had, and yet his attendance never faltered, apparently no one ever complained. And in some strange way, I liked him.

Today I was the last one on the bus. I tiptoed up to the front as to not disturb him. I sat in the first seat, and rang the bell two blocks ahead of my stop so that he would not miss it and I would not end up on 57th street too afraid to say anything. At 54th he stopped and opened the door to let me out. I grabbed my bag and rushed forward down the steps. As my foot hit the second stair I heard him say, “Have a nice day”. I stopped dead in my tracks. I thought I was hearing things. My heart pounded and I had the craziest feeling he was going to beat me up for not saying, “You too” fast enough. I turned and said, “You too”, but he wasn’t looking at me. His eyes were fixed on whatever miraculous being that keeps him so focused and impartial. I ran off the bus and towards my job swearing the whole time that a candid camera would pop out and tell me I was being made a fool of on national television. At least that would have made some sense.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home