Tuesday, January 31, 2006

(BACKPOSTING) Video Vixen 1/21/06

Anthony, who swears I am the one who will make it big as an actress one day, is in fact the one who will probably make it to stardom before me. This dude, who believes he’s in music videos all the time (he even pauses to do slow mo moves while we drive by the barber shop), and often gets mistaken for Daddy Yankee the same way people swear I stem from the same genetic makeup of JLo and Angelina Jolie (huh?), finally ended up with a star role. Carlos, Anthony’s coworker and friend, along with his boy Pat manage/promote a rap group named Nuphsed, consisting of Ink, Alonzo and Jay. I tapped into their music on myspace (www.myspace.com/sooocunseeded) and realized the trio was actually very skilled.
The shoot was scheduled to go down @ 6pm in and in front of Anthony’s bodega (translation = a corner store). The premise was to scheme the viewers into thinking there was a drug deal going down in the store when in actuality it was just an exchange of Nuphsed’s CDs. Carlos told me they would throw me in the video somewhere so I went hood glamorous to “the set” at about 5:30pm. Dressed in a Sherpa jacket, wife beater, jeans and knee high boots, I was too cool for school, but too stupid for bracing rapidly dropping temperatures and wind gusts that made my eyes freeze.
By 6:30 Carlos and the crew had not yet arrived. They were lost somewhere in East Brooklyn. However, an old school Bentley was parked outside the bodega with the group’s entourage milling around, and I was anxiously awaiting the arrival of cops who would mistake the shoot for a real drug deal. A Bentley in Sunset? Who does that?
At around 7, Carlos, after making it all the way to Staten Island by mistake (shit we could have just shot it in my nice warm apartment), finally makes it to the bodega with the group and cameramen. Now there were about fifteen to twenty people inside and out of the bodega causing much commotion amongst the neighboring buildings. I heard a passerby say, “I think that’s Fifty cent in there.” Right, and I’m Olivia… NEXT! The filming began, but I missed the first part because I was being wooed by a ten year old who apparently has six girlfriends spread out across the nation. “I move a lot, but I keep in touch.” Well that’s nice of him.
When the outside work was done, an entourage now totaling about twenty-five people filed by me through the door and Anthony’s part was ready for filming. I hung with Clay (my new ten year old long distance boyfriend) and watched Anthony do his best impression… of himself. He approached Ink like he would any of his boys that walked into the bodega and proceeded to follow the script without sounding fake. I’m proud of you boy!
Next scene was downstairs in the “pool hall”. I followed along thinking the stairs would at some point just snap in two with the weight of five men at a time trudging down. As I am still alive writing this, they obviously held their weight. The basement of the bodega, housing a pool table, was dingy, poorly light and smoky…perfect for this type of video. Pat directed everyone to stand around the pool table and pretend to play C-Lo which neither I nor Alonzo knew how to do. I grabbed some cash props and fingered through the money like all the pretty girls do in rap videos while Alonzo went through his chorus beside me. Dice were rolled continuously and I never knew when the numbers on the die were a good thing, so I just wanted for everyone else to hoot and holler so I could join in the understanding.
After about twenty minutes of stage work we were finally done and the video wrapped up. The entourage dispersed, and the group, the managers, the cameramen, Anthony and I gathered together for some pics.




Good times! I’ll let you know when the video drops and where you can see it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Karla said...

oooh i love the boots. LOL....girl you better hold on to that ten yr old boyfriend of yours. I mean so what if he gots a girl in every city in the U.S.? J/K

In those pic's Anthony does look like DY.

Please do let us know when the video drops so we can check it out.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Desiree said...

I am such a nerd, but dude, I LOVE the boots your wearing here!!

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home