Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Underground Rock

My work husband, aka Suozzi, finds me online today. “You’re coming through tonight right?” Shit! He’s auditioning at CBGB and I totally forgot. I also happened to forget it was a national holiday except for the fact that I didn’t have to physically go into work, and I was stuck in a rut of being lazy. How could I not support the man who walks half a hallway to get me a bottle of water because I swear my legs hurt too much for me to do it myself (he sees through my fibs but gets it for me anyway). Besides that he and his band totally rock and I want to be a part of their pre-fame time period. Throwing on my Chucks and looking slightly 90’s punk, I jump in my car @ 8:00p.m. Before I know it I am searching for parking on Bowery by 8:15. The set is to start at 8:30 so I quickly grab the first parking spot I see, walk to Bowery and begin heading North, unsure of what number building I was standing near. When I finally saw a number sign I realized I was around 150 Bowery… CBGB is at 315. I cursed at myself and realized I had walked too far to turn back and get my car. I started to sprint which only encouraged the wind to whip more strongly against my face. I dashed across the 4 lane street and accidentally jumped onto what I thought was wet ground, but what turned out to be a three inch deep puddle of black watery ice. Mind you I said I was wearing Chucks …canvas Chucks. Within seconds my feet were soaked and I was yelping in frostbitten pain but I continued on. Ten blocks later I finally arrived, shaking terribly from the feet up. Paid my three dollars and entered the nostalgic rock haven as Serial Obsession started their set. For a Monday night, not to mention a holiday that ended a long weekend for many, the place was packed, and rightly so. Suozzi (Mike) was totally into it:


Now I understand why he keeps his hair long; it’s needed in order to emphasize the swaying movement he makes as he becomes enraptured by the music. Someone shouted “Suozzi is God!” after the first song and I was ready to throw my bra on stage. Ok maybe not my bra, but DEFINITELY my glove. They rocked through I think five songs and I can’t wait to be there when they do it again on a Friday or Saturday when I’ll have to wait online just to get in to see them. There is something fulfilling about seeing an unknown band or artist perform live, there is a genuine love involved that many artists lose as they begin to make it big… don’t lose that Suozzi!



To check out the band go to their MySpace website: http://www.myspace.com/serialobsession


As a side anecdote…I saw something familiar in the face of a young man standing behind me. Several times I pretended to be looking for someone just to get a better glimpse of him.



I know who that is! I finally exclaimed to Such and Drea…That’s Papadock from 8 Mile. And it was. Didn't have a clue what his name was until I searched IMBD. Turns out he's Anthony Mackie:



Random seeing him there.


And in closing, I must of course include the latest picture of my little princess.

2 Comments:

Blogger kelly430kud said...

thats so cool you saw him haha i need to have sightings like you of .... vin disel lol someone i sweat haha

9:38 PM  
Blogger Karla said...

I love underground or unknown bands they are they coolest.

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home