Friday, March 10, 2006

Step by Step

It's Friday morning and my head is ready to hit the keyboard, WHAT a draining week... good week though, so I'm not actually complaining. I'm just realizing that getting what I want to get into is going to take a lot of focus, physical strength and stamina... no man, it's not pole dancing! I had an epiphany this week and I came to the conclusion that there really is such a profession as networking, plain and simple I am the link that connects people, and this all ties in with event planning: TADA!


Now that we've reached that point of understanding let me back track and take you through this week I'll call "The week Elle found herself".


Monday was a late night hanging with friends. Leave that there.


Tuesday I attended a press conference for Latinas Don't PMS... (to which many women want to say "Yes we do!").. let me explain. Latinas Don't PMS is the comedic/drama performance dreamchild of Iris Silviero who I interviewed for Mija Magazine a couple of weeks back. (Want to read the article? go to http://www.mijamagazine.com/pms.htm). Iris, whom I adore for her talent, humor and overall personality, is the creator of the show that has its first performance tonight at the legendary Apollo Theater in NYC and will run every Friday through March 31st.


The show, which demonstrates what craziness and hilarity women go through while PMSing, is made up of one of the funniest groups of Latinas I've ever come across. All performers were there but one and while I want to get into detail about each of them, I'm going to save that for the followup article that will be out in May. Just know that these ladies are so talented and so funny that I wish I could make every night's performance (I just don't have that kinda $$ lol).


After the questioning subsided and the crew wrapped up, mingling broke out and I was swept into a sea of introductions that left me half dizzy, but completely elated. I spoke to someone who asked what I do... first I represented Mija, then I ran down my 9-5, then I ran down my 5-9 "well I write, I do events, I work as a link between various talent and I'm working on pubilicity for a few artists".


"How old are you?" I was asked.


"24."


"And you graduated college when?"


"2003."


"Wow, you've done a lot in a short time. I don't know many 24 year olds as motivated as you."


I beamed. I didn't mean to beam, but I did. Some people want to tell me I'm doing a lot, going to wear myself thin, but I keep thinking I'm not doing enough. I beamed again when I learned Iris had spread word of my writing skills. Apparently she's a fan and I'm honored to have her as one. It's one thing to be told I'm doing a lot because it makes me feel like a goal is being reached, and then it is something entirely different to hear that my writing is enjoyed. Writing has been my passion since I was a child, everything else is secondary. To hear that it is appreciated is mind blowing.


An hour later I was on my way downtown to try and catch a bus to Staten Island and my mind was racing. All the "links" I had made within the past couple of months started forming themselves into a linear equation. I began to make calls while seated on the bus and before I knew it I had come up with the idea to promote LDPMS in general, particularly its last show, and host an afterparty for the attendees and cast. I called my boy Jay who runs the promotion of Via on Friday nights and got to work. By the time I jumped off the bus in Staten Island I was doing that shaking thing I do when I'm excited and then BAM! broke out in hives again! CARAJO! My close friends know that ever since I went to Florida I've been breaking out in hives randomly and unknowing as to why. I'm beginning to think it's linked to my emotions because whether I'm angry, pissy, frustrated or terribly excited, I break out. So odd, but it's not contagious so relax. However, I was once again excited last night and yet didn't break out so maybe there is hope that I'm returning to normalcy.


So the promotion goes like this:


For the March 31st showing of Latinas Don't PMS @ the Apollo Theater, I have access to discounted tickets for the orchestra section @ $53 each (keep in mind those tickets are normally something like $75). This show is not just for females, I think it will prove to be a good date option. What better way for a man to tell a woman he wants to know and understand her than by taking her to see this show? And guys, if you have a mother, sister, aunt, grandmother, etc you've seen what happens to women during this time and can relate!



The afterparty will be held @ Via - 16 West 21st Street, between 5th/6th Aves. Ladies will be free all night with either a party pass that will be given out at the show or by using Elle's list at the door. Dudes $10, pass or list. 21+ a must, dress- grown and sexy, no tims, jeans in good taste.


And that's that.


WEDNESDAY I met up with Big Jose after work for some fine dining @ El Deportivo (fine for me great Puerto Rican food and cheap as hell). Let me tell you something about Big Jose... we met when I was a teeny little freshman in college and him an overpowering, massive Junior. He came to my dorm room ( that I shared with a sophmore) and said, "I'm here to take the TV". This diesel, 6" foot dude demanded my TV, of course I handed it over willingly. Later I learned my roommate had told him that his frat could borrow our TV for a presentation and I was officially introduced. From that point on we were friends and we only got cooler when we realized our personalities would never click romantically, so friends forever it would be lol. Big Jose (I know too many Jose's for me not to nickname them) grounds me when my thoughts are too far and scattered. He gives me boosts of confidence and acts like my guru. I needed a night of chat and chill and he provided that. Thanks luv! Your like fam! And yum, was the food good. Too bad I left my sweater there and had to go back and get it on ...


THURSDAY After a long, intense day at work I had to rush to El Deportivo to grab my sweater where the waitresses know me by face, know for damn sure I don't speak Spanish, but they get that I understand some of it and so they refuse to speak to me in English. Our verbal interactions are entirely Spanglish like the ones Freddy Prince, Jr. has with his grandma on his show (which I've seen like once). I raced home hoping to have enough time for a nap, but that wasn't going to happen. Ransacking my closet, I came up with an outfit, threw it on, did the hair and sped off to grab Nicole and Diana. We somehow made it from her house to Spanish Harlem in 30 minutes, I must have been booking, it couldn't be that close could it? I haven't been to Spanish Harlem in years and in those years it's taken on the likes of areas like Williamsburg where you have skyhigh projects highly populated by Latinos, mixed with renovated properties owned by yuppies. The product of such a mix is a place like Camaradas, a local bar that is as trendy as any in SoHo and yet the drinks are dumb cheap. And the music? Wow... what a refreshing boost of something different. I went there to see Tato Torres y Yerbabuena perform, a Puerto Rican grass roots band that came to me highly recommended. We arrived before the performance and were greeted by classic salsa tunes that made me wish I'd worn my dancing shoes. And then the band... straight blew me away. There is nothing that compares to live instruments, and what a hell of a band, seriously. What was just as impressive was the crowd this band pulled in. Whereas I'm used to seeing people my mom's age at such performances, the crowd was completely diverse, ranging from my age to late 50s. I loved it! We stayed through the first set while sipping Amstel and Sangria. Snapped some pics



Nicole and Diana talkin about some dude who was bothering Nicole.



Just had to give you an idea what I looked like.



Monse and Tato Torres - Bought time Monse has a different hat on.. except it's still the Mets, sad. You can hear Yerbabuena's music at http://www.myspace.com/tatoyerbabuena


We had to cut out around midnight, still had to work the next morning **sigh**. But, I have every intention of going back in and preparing with Red Bull.


NOW it's Friday.. and like I said I'm tired. Oh, my phone is ringing. It's Jay. You want me where tonight? But I want to sleep =o(. Yes, you're right, this is the life. And I have to live it. Peas.

2 Comments:

Blogger Karla said...

Damn girl you were busy this week. I enjoy your writing as well.

Hey Elle i have a question where is El Deportivo? Way back in the day when we use to live in Ny that was the name of my parents resturant, they sold it a long time ago but i was hoping that maybe it was still the same one.

Oh i wish i was still back in Ny so i can see Latina PMS.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Jessica R. said...

That's crazy - Your after party is directly behind my job- i'm on 22nd st.

I LOVE Yerba Buena - I don't know where i've been but I just found out a couple weeks ago they have a new album out that i HAVE to get - of course I can't seem to find it in the stores so i'll just have to get it online.


ps - slow down!

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home