Friday, February 10, 2006

The Wonderful World of TV

“You know who you remind me of?”
Oh God, here we go again. “Who?”
“You look like Katie Holmes/Angelina Jolie/JLo.”
Why can’t I just look like me?

The more I become immersed in the industry, the more quickly I lose my own identity and get categorized into another KatiegelinaLopez. Carajo! I am me, Elle J. Rivera- punto!

Anyway, this all went down at a party I attended last night in midtown at a trendy spot I will cease to promote (before I know it, I’ll be indirectly linked to Page Six lol). Lights were dim and a band played covers that had me singing at impromptu moments. As I stood by the check-in area I saw the dynamics of Hollywood unravel before me. Tom Cavanagh, star of the old show Ed, and the new show Love Monkey, arrives and promptly steps up to the check-in counter.

“Dude, get out of here, you don’t have to check in,” I smiled.
He asked if I was sure. Sure? Man, you are the star of a TV show yet again, of course I’m sure, but I admired his down-to-earthness. As irony would have it, immediately following him was a band of no names, who mistook themselves for the cream of the crop. I had no clue who they were, and apparently neither did anyone else.

“Excuse me, can I have your last name please?”

One of the girls stopped, looked me over as if I just could not be asking her this question, and finally said “Bowman” *. I ran my finger down the list, found Bowman, Eliza* with the word “extra” next to it. I smiled to myself. This was a sad case of mistaken identity, on her part not mine. She really thought she was someone worth my time. Poor thing. With a wave of my hand I told the small crowd to go into partydom. I will not be Eliza, EVER. I want to grow up and be like Tom.

There were intervals of food grabbing, where I treated myself to olive covered pizza and then cursed my bad breath after. There wasn’t enough Citrus Trident in the world to help me at that moment, but like everything else it too passed. Everyone from writers to producers passed by me and mingled their way through the crowd and I thought to myself, so this is what’s it’s like to be on the other side of the camera...waaaaay other side of the camera, like miles away …but still, fun.

I grabbed Daniel Sunjata for a pic. Fortunately, Karla had recently listed him in her hottest hotties compilation so I easily picked him out of the crowd.


I was told the picture makes us look couple-ish, weird.

Tom, who was even easier to approach, gladly joined me for a pic.



When he later came by to kiss me on the cheek and thank us all for our efforts, I stopped him to share a secret.
“We have the same birthday.”
“No way!” he exclaimed and then began telling me how the closest he’d come to meeting someone with a similar birthday was Oct. 27.
“Well, now you’ve met me.”
“And how am I going to find you to wish you a happy birthday?”
WHAM! Great time for biz card placement. “Tada!”
He smiled, took my card, thanked me again and headed out.
See, celebs can be nice, they can be down to earth. Next thing you know I’ll be babysitting his kids (I think he’s married and has some) lol.

*Names have been changed to protect the wannabees they represent.

3 Comments:

Blogger Karla said...

OMG,OH NO YOU DIDN"T just go and meet Daniel and took a couple-ish picture with him! I am sooooo jealous i want to take a couple-ish picture with him. You see you do have a cool job and I envy you for it.

LOL, that is right that Karla chicks list does have some hotties on there and look how useful it can be at trendy parties. :)


I am glad to hear that there are nice celebs and that Tom Cavanagh is such a cool guy, reading that makes me like him that much more.

1:38 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

I don't know how I got here, but great pictures all around. Nice blog!

7:14 PM  
Blogger MatthewA said...

I worked with Daniel on Law & Order. He's good people.

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home