Wednesday, December 21, 2005

The Little Eskimo That Could

that's my motto for today .. what I went through to get to work was travel a small tundra with wind whipping at my face and frostbite threatening to reach my unmentionable areas. Thanks to my friend Jose for giving me room and board in Jersey, it was the only way my ass was getting in to NY. After a nice train ride, but brutal walk from 34th/8th to 56/Madison I'm finally here... you never know how nice NYC trains are until you can no longer smell the piss in them. I can't believe this strike- TWU I'm sorry that you're not getting what you need/deserve but DAMN people are suffering (not me, I'm just pissy). Getting off the train @ Penn and trying to get upstairs was like herding cattle. It took me ten minutes just to breathe fresh air. And the walk.. well moron that I am I walked West as opposed to East by accident for a full avenue block (equals like 3 reg blocks for u non-NYers). Once I turned towards the right direction I took a deep breath and told myself it wouldn't be so bad. And it wasn't.... for the first 15 blocks, but once I realized I still had about four avenues to cross I nearly gave up and hailed a non-existent taxi. People were walking in the middle of streets, crowding sidewalks like families of giant ants or passing by slowly in cars packed like sardines. Madness. And it continues, for how long I'm not sure. I'm "working from home" tomorrow, as I did yesterday. Can't deal with this, but it sure as hell put my commute into perspective. South organge is looking VERY nice. FOOSGRABAAAA...Some of my coworkers were very creative.. there were 3 of them and they needed a 4th to make the HOV entry into NYC. Bundling up one of their daughter's dolls, they faked having a baby in the car which counts as a 4th person. Ingenious! Helped me laugh this morning ...let me think of other things that make me smile:




Upload Video at DropShots.com

3 Comments:

Blogger kelly430kud said...

OMG at least you can go and work home! I'm hoping this strike thing is over before I start working! I would have to go from Penn Station to 55/madison.. pretty close to you! BUT the walk would make me miserable all morning lol Its crazy! BUT i gotta say.. dressing up a doll??!! CLASSIC!! lol

10:12 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

My family that still in NY have been telling me about how much this strike sucks. I hope they are able to end it soon.

LOL @ the doll in the HOV.


OMGm Imani is soooooo damn cute.

4:29 PM  
Blogger Jessica R. said...

Cute video - she's a cutie.

Im so glad the strike is over - I luckily had vacation since my mom was here but I did deal with it Tuesday & Thursday and walking over 4-5 miles a day is not fun!!!
If it weren't for the metro north I wouldn't have gone into the city at all.

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home