Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Why my mom is a trip

Mom: "how are u feeling?"
Me: "good"
Mom: "im worried"
Me: "im not"
Mom: "u shouldnt be working"
Me: "the doc says im fine"
Mom: "what are u wearing?"
Me: "clothes"
Mom: "Elle! what kind of clothes? are they tight?"
Me: "mom im not wearing sweats anymore!"
Mom: "u shouldnt even be at work in ur condition"
Me:"well doctor mom, my real doc told me it was fine"
Mom: "well ive talked to people who have been through this and they dont know how ur at work. they were home for weeks recovering. they had nurses at their houses"
Me: "they must be rich.. or lazy.. or old"
Mom: ELLE!"
ME: "im fine mom"
Mom: "i'm just worried about you."
Me: "I know, that's why you're my mom."

My mom and I have been through tough times over the years, but finally, as I've gotten older and understand many more things about life in general, I've begun to "get" her. She's unorganized, controlling, and dramatic... but she's like that because she's trying to save the world, more often than not, my world and she does it with a gusto that can be misunderstood. But, I understand her now. I understand that when she freaks out about something as needless as the candles on a cake burning for too long, it's because she doesn't want my bday cake to be ruined. When she makes a huge ordeal about lighting the bbq grill asking me more than ten times if the gas is turned on all the way, I know it's because she's afraid it will blow up in my face. When she fuses over my use of a halfway coat, it's only because she doesn't want me to end up with pneumonia. When she insists I come over immediately to help her make a DVD cover, it's because she misses having me at home. When she calls me and repeats the same thing five times, it's because she wants me to stay on the phone longer. I get it.... I get it all. And although I don't see myself ever moving back in with her (some people should definitely love from afar), my heart is always with her.

2 Comments:

Blogger Elle J said...

took me 24 years =o)

5:38 PM  
Blogger Karla said...

Your conversation with your mami reminded me alot of conversations with my mami. Ay, Latina mami's they can be something else. It have also taken me 24 yrs to finally " get" my mami.

I know now that she means well, her heart is in the right place and that it is not her goal in life to drive me crazy :)

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home